Sunday, March 10, 2013

Stoner Neighbors and John Green

At least two of my five neighbors (well, people who live in my apartment building) smoke constantly. The first floor of my building regularly smells like pot, and I'm pretty sure my next door neighbor smokes a good bit, too. I'm just sitting here, minding my own business, when my apartment is engulfed in the smell. Can you get second hand high? Second hand high through doors and/or vents? Oh well, I'll probably just be sitting at home eating the mediocre chocolate cake (with no frosting) I baked yesterday, anyway. haha

So I recently splurged and bought John Green's box set. I have already read his latest novel, The Fault in Our Stars, and I was trying to save the other three books for my three hour flights to and from Florida during spring break, but apparently I have no willpower when just sitting next to a box set of books by an author I know is amazing. So, I did as any weak-willed nerdfighter would do, and I began reading "Looking for Alaska," certain that I could just read a small section then get back to the homework and studying I needed to do. Yeah, in less than four hours, I finished it, and it was amazing, and I hate John Green. So many feelings! I love his style of writing, the language he uses, how real and full of faults and awesome his characters are... And I hate him. haha He's too good and manipulates my emotions too well! I really need to work on my novel some more. Though now I think it's going to have a sequel, because there's something else I want to happen, but now that I think about some of the things I want to happen in the first book, I really can't imagine it spanning two books, and I should probably just keep it to a novel. The plot twist I would introduce to turn it into two books would be pretty interesting, I think, which makes it tempting. I guess we'll see what happens when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment